Intestinal marginal zone B-cell lymphoma of MALT type: Clinical manifestation and outcome of a rare disease

Sung Yong Oh, Hyuk Chan Kwon, Won Seog Kim, In Gyu Hwang, Yeon Hee Park, Kihyun Kim, Young Hae Ko, Baek Yeol Ryoo, Hye Jin Kang, Eunmi Nam, Jae Hoon Lee, Jung Han Kim, Hyo Jin Kim

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

13 Scopus citations

Abstract

Intestinal marginal zone B-cell lymphoma of the MALT type (I-MZL) is a relatively uncommon form of lymphoma. Twenty-seven patients with histologically-confirmed I-MZL were analyzed. The patients initially presented with abdominal pain (62.9%), and diarrhea (22.2%). The most common involved site was the ileo-caecal area (40.7%). Musshoff's stage IE, II E1, IIE2, IIIE and IV were present in 44%, 15%, 11%, 7.4% and 22% respectively. Sixty-three percent were in the low-risk group according to the Follicular Lymphoma International Prognostic Index. Complete response and partial response were achieved in 82% and 4% patients. The estimated 5-year overall survival (OS) and progression-free survival (PFS) rates were 86% and 54%. Stage ≥ IIE2 was determined to be a poor prognostic factor for PFS and OS. I-MZL commonly manifests in an early-stage, low-risk state and tends to respond well to local and systemic treatment with favorable prognosis. I-MZL tends to be an indolent disease - characterized by prolonged survival with frequent relapses, similarly to other site MZLs.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)287-291
Number of pages5
JournalEuropean Journal of Haematology
Volume79
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - Oct 2007

Keywords

  • Intestinal
  • Marginal zone B-cell lymphoma of MALT type

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Intestinal marginal zone B-cell lymphoma of MALT type: Clinical manifestation and outcome of a rare disease'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this